Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Looking back and why sometimes its necessary.

No one who is constantly looking back can ever move forward. And even if they are moving, they will constantly be stumbling over things because their focus is off. We are told several times in the bible to not look back, to forget what lies behind and press on for the mark of the high calling. The truth is there really is no point in looking back, in pouring over all the pains and mistakes of the past. The wrongs done to us or the wrongs we have done. The reality is there is nothing we can do to change any of it so why go there. Believe me, I've "gone" there many times and the only thing that happens when I camp out is more misery over what happened that can't be changed.

So, why the title? I believe there are times when looking back is not only necessary but could be life saving, or at least sanity saving.
But this looking back involves not all the wrongs that can't be un-wronged but all the amazing things God has done for us. All the ways He has taken us out of the pit, the ways He saved us. I have times when I get in such a funk, my mood is so blah and I am so down I don't want to pray or even read my bible. And it may take me a minute or a day but eventually I will start to look back and see where He has brought me from.
Just take this adoption as a small example. At one point we were drowning and there was no life raft coming our way, BUT GOD. Less than one month later, not only were we no longer drowning but we were already on the shore. He took what seemed hopeless and breathed His life into it.
And as I reflect during these times I will go back much farther, back to the mess I was in when I met my hubby and how He used Brian (unbeknownst to him) to save me from myself. And I can't help but praise Him and thank Him and be so grateful that before I know it, the funk and the blah are gone.

So, I encourage you to look back during the hard times. Not to wallow in the misery of all the things you can't change but instead to remind yourself where God has taken you from. To remember how good He is all the time. He isn't just good when things are going your way. He is good all the time.

Psalm 105


Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name;
    make known among the nations what he has done.
 
Sing to him, sing praise to him;
    tell of all his wonderful acts.
 
Glory in his holy name;
    let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
 
Look to the Lord and his strength;
    seek his face always.

Remember the wonders he has done,
    his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced,
 
you his servants, the descendants of Abraham,
    his chosen ones, the children of Jacob.
 
He is the Lord our God;
    his judgments are in all the earth.

Isaiah 12:4-6

“Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name;
    make known among the nations what he has done,
    and proclaim that his name is exalted.
 Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things;
    let this be known to all the world.
 Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion,
    for great is the Holy One of Israel among you.

Psalm 9:1-2

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart;
    I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
 I will be glad and rejoice in you;
    I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Amen!