Monday, April 22, 2013

Everyone needs a Debra.

I have a friend, yes I know, shocking!

Her name is Debra. She is amazing. Debra is one of the few people I can be around and be totally myself without worrying she is secretly judging me. I know that she loves and supports me unconditionally. I feel the same way. Heres a little bit of history.

Debra was one of the first people I met when I moved to NC almost 5 years ago. We met at 5:15 in the morning on the door step of Starbucks. She had way too much energy and talked too loud and too much for that early in the morning. Needless to say she gave me a run for my money. HA!
Debra was easy to get a long with and as co-workers we became fast friends. We were so alike in the way we managed and worked like a well oiled machine, in fact we often joked that other employees only got in our way.

I remember the first time I got brave and asked her if she ever went to church, to which she replied, not like I should. So, I invited her. It would be 6 weeks before she would finally run out of excuses and actually show up and when she did it was touch and go for awhile. You see Debra was raised in the Catholic church, so it was pretty scary to her the way we did church. But I think the more she attended our small group and she and I talked about things, the more comfortable she got. Before too long I no longer had to remind her about church, it was just assumed she would be there and I could tell she was loving it.

I will never forget the conversation in my car one day while out shopping. I had never sat her down and had the "do you wanna say the sinner's prayer" talk. I just figured it would happen when it happened. Anyway, we were sitting outside of Old Navy chatting about the previous Sunday's message and she was asking questions I was doing my best to answer. Then she mentioned she had recited the prayer to herself that our pastor had asked everyone to pray. I almost missed what she said. It took me a couple of seconds. Then I said, Debra "you've given your heart to Jesus?" And she said "well yes I have", it was really cool. It was cool mainly because she wasn't just repeating a prayer, she had sat in church for a long time and had really learned what it meant to be a Christ follower and had made a conscious decision that that was what she wanted for her life and her future. I was so honored I was part of it.

Debra has made me want to be a better person. She always inspired me in the work place. Here was this woman who wasn't even a christian (at the time) who was so wonderful towards people. So gracious and loving, so kind and generous with her words and encouragement. And there I was, a christian who was so opposite of that. In the end I think we inspired each other. Our friendship has only gotten stronger and we think of each other like sisters.

I write all of this because this past weekend I celebrated with her at her baby shower. Debra and her hubby Salon are expecting twin girls in July. Their first babies. Debra has never wanted to be anything else but a wife and mom and even though both came a little later than she expected she is rocking it out. I had the privilege of walking with her through meeting, dating and marrying Salon ( I got to be her Matron of Honor) and now to be part of this season is more incredible than I ever thought possible. Debra is going to be an amazing mother and I can't wait to spoil those girls rotten!


Deb and the cute shower cake.

The cute way we thanked everyone for coming.
Poem courtesy of Joanna. 
Looking on while Laura matches baby socks
Presenting all the matched baby socks. 

Me looking on while Deb fishes for cotton balls, that was a very unique game.
Laurie, Rochelle and I hosted Deb's shower. It was so fun. 

Laurie and I posing before it all began. 
I heart you Deb!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

What a sweet story to share of your friend. I love how God always orchestrates those special meetings for special people.