Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy New Year and Fear of the Unknown

Happy New Year!!! Once again it's hard to believe another year has come and gone but here we are ready to start anew.
This can be a really hard time for some people. As we watched the ball drop last night I felt a lump in my throat and fought back the tears as a twinge of anxiety surfaced. See for years I battled depression and anxiety. Most of which are due to me being a control freak and worrier.
As I've grown in my relationship with Jesus I have truly begun to grasp the concept that I don't have to worry about anything. I have literally had moments of pure elation when I realize that even death itself is nothing to fear. Of course those moments quickly pass by and I have to remind myself what I was worrying about. Have you ever been there?
All worrying is is the concept of thinking you are controlling everything and/or everyone in your life. For instance, when I go places with other people I always like to drive because then I am in control of getting to said place safely. It's the exact reason I don't like to fly. I can't see where I am going and someone else is at the controls.
But thats just it. I know the saying "Is God your Pilot" cliche but its so true. Is he?
The reality is we are not in control of anything except ourselves and how we are responding to God's call in our lives. And His basic call to all of His children is to love Him with all our heart, soul, mind etc. and to love others. The rest is gravy. He promised He would never leave us nor forsake us. Hebrew 13:5 So, do I do you really believe that or don't we? I know one thing is for sure. He is not a man that He can lie so if that is what He says then that is what is true. Which means no matter how we feel about this new year and all the unknowns God will be there to walk us through all of it.
I feel blessed to have learned that once I recognize I am worrying I breathe a prayer of thankfulness that God has it under control and is guiding and directing my steps.
Psalm 37:23-24 says The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the LORD upholds his hand.
I love what this says. All you need to do is delight in His way and even when you do fall He upholds you with His hand. That is just beautiful to me.
So trust in this promise and just wait, peace will follow and you will be blown away by it.

I challenge you today. Rest in God's truths not just for this New Year but for all the New Year's to come and may 2011 bring us even closer to Jesus.


1 comment:

Shirley said...

Been there to the point where it was almost unbearable to be the passenger. Didn't work well as a new bride and after a number of years (as I grew in Christ), I learned, as you said, even death is nothing to fear, and my solution to the ongoing problem was to simply close my eyes when I sensed an imminent crash. At that point, the peace of Jesus Christ just took over and to this day, I still simply close my eyes and let Him be in charge!