Monday, January 10, 2011

Faith in WHAT?!

Brian and I were watching old episodes of LA Ink yesterday while the boys were skating. I am completely fascinated with tattoos and tattooing.
The thing I like the most about LA Ink is they tell you all the stories of the clients and the reason for the tattoo.
A beautiful woman came in the shop and was getting her first tattoo from Corey (who is no longer on the show) of the word Faith on the inside of her wrist. Anytime anyone gets anything "christiany" I wait with expectancy for the reason why.
Now, at first look you would think this woman was a model. It turns out she is a WWE Raw wrestler. She then went on to explain how no one ever said she could make it as a wrestler or believed in her and she said but I went out and I proved them all wrong because I had FAITH that I could do it! So I sat there waiting for the climax of that statement. I knew what I wanted it to be. I wanted her to say because of my Faith in God I knew I could do it.
But that isn't what she meant at all. She had faith in herself. I was disheartened.
Later as Brian and I were on our way to small group it hit me that just as people use the term "I'm a Christian" yet live their own way Monday through Saturday I'm hearing that word faith thrown around so loosely more and more.
They are having "faith" in just about anything but God these days.
Faith in their careers, faith in their spouse, faith in their family or friends, faith in the future, faith in finances, faith in their Pastor or church. And most of all Faith in THEMSELVES!!!
In small doses faith in these "things" isn't all bad but at the end of the day if we don't have Faith in God none of those "things" matter. They aren't what saves us.
And as believers we have to be ever vigilant and aware of who we are really putting our Faith in.
Hebrews 11:6 And without FAITH it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.
So, examine yourself (I know I am), who or what do you really have faith in?

No comments: