Sunday, November 07, 2010

Rest

I have been learning to rest. Not the whole mom of three kids, plus a husband and homeschool etc and I need a break kind of rest. But the resting in God kind of rest.
It started about a month ago after we began looking for a house. I wasn't really sure I even wanted to pursue house buying again. After all we went through in Florida I guess you could say I was gun shy. Now admittedly we didn't exactly do things the right way but even still we have been working really hard to be debt free so I didn't want to add any more. Not that house debt is bad debt but anyway, I digress.
There were just lots of things happening all at once I felt totally overwhelmed.
During my time with the Lord one morning I was reading in Matthew.
Matthew 6:25-27 says Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
Then in Matthew 10:28-31 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
The first scripture is telling me not to worry about my life or what I will eat or drink or what I will wear. That life is so much more than all those things. I like how in both scriptures there is a reference to birds.
Several times a week I'll sit on my back porch in the mornings to talk to God and my view is an empty field. As I watch the morning fully roll in the birds are flying all over, some solo and some together. I watch how they are so free and its so clear to me how they just live their lives knowing its all good. They are just birds but not one will fall to the ground outside your father's care. He knows when a bird falls to the ground and I'm worried that He might be missing something in my life?
So, back to rest. What does that look like? Different things for different people I guess. For some its disconnecting from the world, shutting off the phone, computer or TV, being quiet, taking a time out and getting away from it all. Maybe its all of these things. I think more than that its recognizing that God holds it all in the palm of His hand. He loves me and has it all under control. My life, my marriage, my kids, my future, everything and anything. Not only that but when I lack wisdom for any situation that He has control over I simply need to ask and He gives it to me. James 1:5. Key is to choose it. To open my hand and my heart and let Him reign. He has nothing but goodness for His children but we have to make the choice to give it up to Him and trust He knows best.
So, this house situation has been amazing all the way through because where ever we have needed wisdom God has provided it. We have prayed without ceasing, sought godly counsel and ultimately left it in His hands and entered His rest and its been the best thing I have ever done.
So, my encouragement to you? Choose to enter His rest. You will never regret it.


1 comment:

Shirley said...

Thanks for the encouragement ... and could you pass the coffee cream?!!